Arts de la table are so much fun ! Choice of table-cloth, ornaments, fresh flowers, candles, centers, lighting are important details contributing to a table elegance. Even on a daily busy basis, I believe silverware, plates, dishes, glasses need to be set properly for an inviting and relaxing quality time around the dinner table.
A TABLE !
Much has been said about the French way to educate children to behave and get healthy food habits…
Here are some helpful guidelines : that’s the way it has always been at my home, in France and in the US alike, no exception, no complain, … and it works great!
- Avoid industrial junk food and soda at home.
- No snack between meals except a light “gouter”, a fruit or a cookie right after school.
- Avoid emotional links with food (sorry but kids don’t need a bed time snack or a candy to be sure we love them). There are so many other ways to provide reward !
- No TV nor any other screen ever allowed during meals as we consider it is such a precious time for discussion.
- Everybody is seated, participates in the conversation, joyfully and peacefully.
- Kids eat what is served, no kids menu ever, I just adapt the portion to their size, and they love to eat vegetables everyday since they started solid food.
- They are not hungry for the fresh home-made soup ? No worry, but then, they cannot be hungry for dessert!
- We do not start eating until everyone is ready.
- No-one leaves the table early without asking permission.
- Everyday, one of the kids is on duty to help on specific chores such as empty the dishwasher, lay the table, empty the trash.